Or “Why Would I Make Another Chocolate Brownie Ever Again?”
These chocolate brownies scored 10 out of 10 points from my toughest critics – my sisters! I would call them “The Brownies”: they are an exciting explosion of sweet, salty, crunchy, fudgy and chewy amazingness and probably the only brownie recipe you’ll need in your life.
Desserts don’t have to be complicated
Actually, I think the easier they are to prepare, the better they are in so many cases. Also, for a good cake or pie or even for brownies you won’t need an exagerated number of ingredients – the basics will be perfectly fine and most probably you’ll have all of them already at home. Also, while I do love baking and consider it my personal therapy, actually I’ve never had a particularly strong sweet tooth. Nevertheless, and especially in times like these, a proper and intense brownie with some homemade salty caramel sauce will do the trick and cheer me up. And I hope it will work its magic for you as well!
I love brownies for some very good reasons:
- They are sweet and salty, fudgy and chewy
- The combination of flavors and textures is great
- Comining the ingredients will only take a couple of minutes
- They are a sweet eye-catcher if topped with pretzels and/or flaky saltt
- Homemade salty caramel is so so so good and it’s is a great ice cream topping
- P.s.: Make sure you have the ingredients at home for a 2nd batch. I guarantee you that everyone will ask for more!
That said, I’m pretty sure these cuties will make your day better, and they will definitely cheer up your friends and neighbours you share them with. All you need is one little piece of these brownies to make all of your dreams come true!
Chocolate Brownies with Pretzels, Ganache and Homemade Salty Caramel SaucePrint recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or dark chocolate cut into chunks)
- Sea Salt Flakes
- 1/2 cup pretzels
- CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or a dark chocolate bar (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon flavorless oil of choice, butter or coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (=350°F).
- Grease or line a 20 x 20cm (= 8 x 8 inch) pan with some parchment paper and set aside. If you don’t have a 20 x 20cm pan, simply use a baking tray and baking paper.
- Cut the butter up into small pieces and melt it on the stovetop by heating it on low until it’s melted.
- Take a big bowl, add the melted butter and whisk in the cocoa powder and sugar until combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and espresso powder.
- Fold in the chocolate chips/chocolate chunks.
- Spread evenly in the pan. The dough should remain 2-3cm high.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until the edges are set and a toothpick is removed with your personal desired “gooeyness” level. NOTE: It’s totally ok if there is some batter on the toothpick!
- Let the brownies cool completely.
- Once the brownies cooled, spread the caramel sauce across them, top them immediately with pretzels and drizzle some chocolate ganache on top. Sprinkle with salt flakes.
- Warm the heavy cream in a small saucepan.
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and salt over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and simmer without stirring until it turns a rich honey color. This will take approximately 15-20 minutes. Cook for an additional minute or two as the color deepens.
- Reduce the heat and immediately add the cream while stirring.
- Use your spoon to push down the bubbles and take care you don’t burn your fingers.
- Stir together and remove from heat.
- Let cool, store in a jar in the fridge.
- Heat chocolate and oil/butter until hot/melted.
- Add the chocolate and stir until it is is completely melted.
- This will only take a few moments. Make sure the chocolate does not burn. Stir until it is completely melted.
Discover more dessert ideas here!