Hello summer, hello veggie tacos!
Last summer, I thought that Taco Tuesday or Tacos itself was just another food trend that would disappear as soon as the next crazy food madness began. Ahmm, can we please get a collective “how about no” on that? Tacos are not disappearing, Tacos aren’t going anywhere… except into our bellies. And in our case: Especially veggie Tacos.
Our research showed that there is a huge variety of fish and meat Tacos all over the internet. With such a huge variety of herbs, fillings and toppings! The only thing we have been missing a little bit: creative, fruity but savory veggie Tacos! So we’ve decided to create our light, summerish recipe, that turns a simple lunch into an explosion of tastes. And, last but not least: It’s an easy meal for take away – so perfect for a healthy office lunch or a picnic with friends. Perfect for summer, right?
Tacos are not only for Tuesdays!
Taco Tuesday – the most famous couplet in the foodie industry. A day, devoted to one of the worlds most popular meals! Most of the time, the Tacos were even combined with a discount. Taco Tuesday was originally invented in the States and exists from Los Angeles to small town, from street food trucks to luxury restaurants in hipster hoods. And on top: If people do not go out to eat, they love to prepare Tacos at home – no matter if meat Tacos or veggie Tacos. To sum it up: People from US have been falling in love with Tacos long time ago and this trend finally arrived in Europe.
Vegetarian summer tacos with quinoa-pomegranate filling & haloumi toppingPrint recipe
- 12 white corn tortillas (small)
- 500 g quinoa
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 1 avocado
- 1 package of haloumi
- 3 tomatoes (middle sized)
- 1 red onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch cilantro (longer stems removed)
- 1 lemon
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 table spoons lime juice (from 2 medium limes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
Step 1: How to prepare the taco filling
- Boil one cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water added. Boil till soft and smooth.
- Peel the pomegranate and the avocados, cut it. Then cut the red onion, the garlic, the tomatoes and the spring onions into tiny pieces.
- Place the ingredients in a large bowl and mix it. Add the cilantro.
- Squeeze the lemon and add the fresh juice. Add some salt and pepper.
- Cut the haloumi into thin slices and roast till golden.
Step 2: How to prepare the salsa
- Mix the sour cream, lime juice, the garlic powder and add some salt and pepper.
For the ultimate taco tastylicousness, prepare them in a oven ready pot, fill them and then heat them up for around 10 minutes. To serve, sprinkle some fresh cilantro, pomegranate and garnish the tacos with the amazing fresh lime salsa. Enjoy!