This saucy chicken stew with chorizo, black and green olives will soon become your favorite new recipe for a lunch or dinner with friends. All you’ll need are a few high-quality ingredients and spicy salami like chorizo for the spicy and intense flavor. Check out my latest recipe for this delicious, quick and easy meal that is light and summery, yet hearty enough for cooler days in autumn and winter, too.
A no-fuss chicken recipe
This recipe is the ideal option for anyone who is looking for a no-fuss lunch or dinner option. The chorizo gives the sauce a great spicy twist, the roasted black olives and tasty green olives add some more flavor as well as a colorful touch to this dish. Make sure to cook the chicken in a pan before putting everything together to be cooked in the oven.
Add some lemon slices and herbs when serving the chicken stew. Since the stew will already be rich in flavor, make sure to combine it with a simple rice and fresh salad. Enjoy it with a glass of red wine.
Chicken Stew with Chorizo & OlivesPrint recipe
- chicken breast, with bones
- 120-150g chorizo, skinless, cut in 0,5cm slices (the more chorizo the better)
- 1 onion, cut in quarters
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon (1/2 for marinade, 1/2 for garnish)
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt, freshly ground black pepper
- sweet paprika powder
- fresh parsley, rosemary and thyme
- 2-3 bay leafs
- 400g canned chopped tomatos
- 1/2 cup of green olives (with stone)
- 1/2 cup of black olives (with stone)
- fresh cherry tomatoes
- For the marinade simply put the chicken breasts in a bowl, season with salt, pepper and sweet paprika powder. Clean the onion, slice it into quarters or smaller and add to the bowl. Clean the garlic, squeeze each clove with a big knife and add to bowl. Add fresh rosemary, thyme as well as the bay leafs. Sprinkle with olive oil and the juice of 1/2 fresh lemon. Massage the spices into the chicken, cover and leave in the fridge over night.
- For the chicken stew preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Use a big pan, preheat it, add olive oil and 1 tbsp butter. Then add all the chicken pieces (without the rest of the marinade) and cook for 10-12 minutes turning frequently until evenly browned. In the meantime, prepare an ovenproof deep pan. When the chicken is evenly browned, set it aside.
- For the sauce add the rest of the marinade including the chorizo, onions, garlic and olives to the same pan you used before, add the canned chopped tomatoes and cook shortly for about 3-5 minutes in order to mix all the ingredients well. When ready, add to the pan with the chicken breasts.
- Top everything with fresh cherry tomatoes that will be cooked in the oven, too.
- Put the ovenproof pan into the oven and cook everything for 45 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, and lemon slices.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
The chicken will be perfectly soft and mellow after 45 minutes in the oven, while the chorizo will give it a special spicy twist. If you like it even spicier, feel free to add some hot chili (dried or fresh) to the recipe. Serve this delicious chicken and chorizo stew over rice and pair it with a fresh salad and a glass of red wine.
Editors note: If you can’t find any chorizo other similar spicy salami variations will do too.
Pro tip: Depending on the size of the chicken breast I recommend you to prepare some more. I've prepared 6 chicken breasts for a 4 people dinner and we finished everything. I'm sure that even 2 chicken breasts with sauce would have been perfectly fine per person. If your family and friends are as hungry as mine, make sure to prepare some more!