Muesli bars are an easy snack to drop into your lunchbox, you can always have with you during a busy day or when heading to your workout session. Homemade muesli bars are loaded with industrial sugar which makes them less healthy than one might think. If you want to satisfy your snack cravings, these healthy muesli bars are your go-to nutrition companion to fuel your day!
This is the basic recipe for approximately 16 easy homemade muesli bars and it will only take you a few minutes to prepare your own healthy bars using your favorite muesli and dried fruit. Variations can include different typed of nuts, dried or fresh fruit as well as chocolate drops.
What to consider when making your own muesli bars
You can use fresh or dry fruits for your muesli bars. Combine the fruits you like most! To add some additional flavor use diverse a mix of dried fruit, e.g. berries, dried bananas, figs, plums, etc. Use your favorite nuts for the muesli bars. There are no limits! Just make sure to chop them finely. Also, depending on how much muesli and nuts you add to the mixture, you might need to add some more honey and/or water in order to cover everything properly with the liquid. Make sure though not to use too much water. Otherwise your muesli bars might be too soft after baking and fall apart. When pouring everything onto the baking tray make sure the bars are approximately 1cm high.
Once the muesli bars are baked they still might be a bit moist depending on how much honey and water you used. This is no big deal. Make sure to leave them on the baking paper to cool down before enjoying them. If stored correctly in a storage box, muesli bars can stay fresh for 1-2 weeks. Enjoy them for a quick breakfast, before your training session or as a healthy snack in the go.
Homemade muesli barsPrint recipe
- 4 1/2 cups rolled oats or muesli mix
- 1/2 cup cashews and/or almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup berries (e.g. blueberries, fresh or dried)
- 1/2 cup dried bananas
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
InstructionsDirections for the cake
- Preheat the oven to 174 degrees C (350 degrees F)
- Prepare a baking tray with baking sheet
- Sift together all dry ingredients: muesli, nuts, sunflower seeds, salt, fruit
- Sift together the honey and water in a small pan and heat the liquids until the liquid is smooth
- Mix everything together until smooth
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking tray
- Bake at 175 degrees C (350 degrees F) for approximately 30 minutes
- Remove from oven
- Cut the muesli bars while they are still warm
- Leave them on the baking tray to cool